- Give rooms a fresh coat of paint as needed.
- Repair cracks and holes in ceiling and walls.
- Make sure all wallpaper is secure.
- Repaint any woodwork that is worn or chipped.
- Clean or replace draperies and blinds; open them to maximize light.
- Make sure draperies and blinds open and close.
- Wash windows.
- Steam-clean carpets. Clean rugs and wood flooring, and remove any stains or odors.
- Position the furniture to showcase the size and space of the room.
- Remove and replace any attached items, such as chandeliers and draperies, that you wish to move with you.
- Put away toys and hobby supplies; remove extra magazines and books from tables.
- Make sure sinks, tubs, showers and countertops are clean and free of stains.
- Repair any leaky faucets.
- Remove grout and soap stains from tile.
- Replace any missing or cracked tiles or grout.
- Make sure all joints are caulked.
- Make sure all fixtures, including heat lamps and exhaust fans, are operating.
- Install a new shower curtain and buy matching towels.
- Store all supplies, such as toilet paper, shampoo bottles and cleansers.
- Repair cracks in ceiling and walls.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint if necessary.
- Make sure wallpaper is secure.
- Clean draperies and blinds; open them to maximize light.
- Put away toys, clothes, and clutter.
- Neatly make up the beds.
- Check for water penetration or dampness; call for professional repairs if necessary.
- Get rid of musty odors.
- Clean furnace, hot water heater, and drains.
- Make sure light fixtures work.
- Arrange storage area in a neat and organized manner.
- Make sure stairway handrail is secure.
- Use air fresheners or bake treats to make the house smell good.
- Plant flowers to brighten a walkway and enrich the entry.
- Remove any indoor houseplants that are brown or losing their leaves.
- Discard the clutter of magazines on the coffee and end tables.
- Tidy and declutter all closets.
- Hide or get rid of worn-out throw pillows.
- Store pet supplies.
- At night, turn on the porch light and outdoor lighting. Buyers often drive by homes they are considering at various times of day.