Repair and Cleaning Checklist
- Remove peeling and chipped paint; replace with a fresh coat.
- Fix loose trim and fencing.
- Clear gutters and downspouts
- Make sure there is good exterior lighting and all walkway lights and front-door lanterns work.
- Clean and repair the roof as needed.
- Clear garage of clutter and tidy shelves.
- Inspect chimney for cracks and earthquake damage.
- Mow and trim grass; re-seed and fertilize where necessary.
- Prune all overgrown trees and shrubs.
- Weed flower beds. Remove or replace dead or diseased plants, shrubs and trees.
- Clean grease and oil stains from driveway.
- Paint or stain worn areas in wood decks.
- Remove grass growing in concrete cracks; sweep off debris from shrubs and trees.
- Clean all deck rails and make sure they’re secure; replace missing slats or posts.
- Clean outdoor furniture.
- Polish or replace the hardware on the door so it shines.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to get rid of nicks.
- Clean the glass on the storm door; make certain the screen is secure.
- Make sure the doorbell operates properly and there are no squeaks when the door opens and closes.
- Clean all windows—inside and out.
- If needed, add a fresh coat of paint to the window trims and sills.
- Make sure all windows open and close easily.
- Replace cracked windowpanes and those with broken seals.
- Make sure window screens are clean and secure; replace any screens with holes or tears.
- Clean entryway floors and area rugs.
- Downsize clutter in the entry and entry closet to give the appearance of spaciousness.
Double-check entry lighting to make sure it works.
- Clean all floors, carpets, walls and trim.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs.
- Empty trash.
- Remove family photos, valuables, and prescription drugs.
- Make sure countertops, grout, and sinks are clean and stain-free. Replace grout as needed.
- Fix dripping faucets.
- Organize pantry and cupboards so they appear clean, neat and spacious.
- Make sure the refrigerator and freezer are defrosted and free of odors.
- Clean the oven and cook-top thoroughly.
- Set the table